SIJA

Southern Illinois Jeep Association

Check out our Facebook Page!
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HAMS - Still around
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:27 am 
Club Member

I know Joe and a couple of others are/were HAMS, quick question about radio etiquette on the trail...

How casual are conversations on the trail?

So I've been reading the books/internet, etc and I get that you sign on with your call sign when you break in, and when you sign off, and you're supposed to identify yourself every 10 minutes. But does that actually happen or is it a bit more relaxed?

I.E. Would we just sign onto a channel at the beginning of a trail ride, do our usual radio jargon during the ride (call it 6 hours), and then sign off when we part ways, or is someone going to get all hissy if we don't throw our call signs out frequently? This is assuming running the lowest power we can get away with, (not rocking 1k watts everywhere :))

I am thinking hard about going ahead and getting my HAM later this year (before we head west again) as it seems like it is a bit more useful out there. But we will probably do the GMRS radios for the rides around here since they updated the rules last May (Under 2w doesn't need a licence). Which means all the bubble pack radios should be legit at this point. I am eyeing one of the Midland 105 or 115 radios (5 and 15watt) and will probably go ahead and grab a license as well ($90 for a 10 year license, no test required) just to be completely legal.

’87 XJ – Scrapped
’94 Ranger – Parted out
Cookie Cutter ’99 TJ – Gone
'99 Mountaineer - Coming soon to a trail near you!
All our randomness and build threads can be found at http://www.MidwestNomads.com

Post subject: Re: HAMS - Still around
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:55 am 
Club Member

Benno! wrote:
I know Joe and a couple of others are/were HAMS, quick question about radio etiquette on the trail...

How casual are conversations on the trail?

So I've been reading the books/internet, etc. and I get that you sign on with your call sign when you break in, and when you sign off, and you're supposed to identify yourself every 10 minutes. But does that actually happen or is it a bit more relaxed? It does happen

Most of the hams I know pretty much follow the rules. After a while, it becomes almost natural to announce your call sign. It is self regulated, but if anyone is listening and you don't identify, they will probably call you on it.

I.E. Would we just sign onto a channel at the beginning of a trail ride, do our usual radio jargon during the ride (call it 6 hours), and then sign off when we part ways, or is someone going to get all hissy if we don't throw our call signs out frequently? This is assuming running the lowest power we can get away with, (not rocking 1k watts everywhere :))

On the 100 Acre Wood road rally, call signs and tactical signs are both used. But this has to be way more organized than a trail ride. No one talks to anyone besides net control unless given specific permission to go direct to anyone else.

I am thinking hard about going ahead and getting my HAM later this year (before we head west again) as it seems like it is a bit more useful out there. But we will probably do the GMRS radios for the rides around here since they updated the rules last May (Under 2w doesn't need a license). Which means all the bubble pack radios should be legit at this point. I am eyeing one of the Midland 105 or 115 radios (5 and 15watt) and will probably go ahead and grab a license as well ($90 for a 10 year license, no test required) just to be completely legal.

That said, I rarely have mine on. I do on road trips sometimes. There is kind of a quasi-official simplex frequency that is used nation-wide. I tune to it just to have something on in case there is an emergency somewhere nearby. Since it's a simplex freq. range is a bit of an issue, but its not like you need to listen/talk too far away in this case.

Lowest power on a frequency that isn't commonly used the an area would most likely not interfere with anyone.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:54 pm 
Club Member

Gotcha. Thanks for the info Joe!

’87 XJ – Scrapped
’94 Ranger – Parted out
All our randomness and build threads can be found at http://www.MidwestNomads.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:55 pm 
Online Member

Perhaps an ignorant question, but why no love for the CB? I understand it's limitations, but when you're a small group spread out no more than a 1/2 mile, it seems perfectly adequate. I'm trying to understand the draw towards GMRS and HAM. I don't know that my CB even works anymore, but a replacement is likely going to be a marine grade device.

FWIW - my buddy said casual conversations are no problem. As long as you are within the rules and are not promoting your business or doing business.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:15 am 
Club Member

Not much love for the CB around here as they just don't seem to plum work worth a poop, and when they are working perfectly, the quality seems to be much less of a that then even the cheapest FRS/GMRS radio found at wally-world.

Taking an educated guess, it is mostly due to the terrain that we deal with around here. Likely because even the best placed CB antenna will often get snagged on something, and there is often enough natural features around the area that will interfere with signal (Maybe?).

I know myself and others have gone through multiple CB setups (properly tuned with the SWR and on different vehicles) only to have them crap out after a couple of trail rides. And that's even using decent Radios. Getting kind of tired of just yelling at each other through open windows on the trail :lol:

The GMRS antenna looks to be much smaller, so it should be less of a "tree grabber", and as mentioned, the signal quality is just much better than the CB (AM vs. FM kinda sorta).

Perfect world, I'd love to have a radio that does everything, but I know such a critter doesn't exist, so you wind up having to pick your poison unless you want to dedicate the real estate to all the different gear.

Thanks for the additional feedback form your HAM friend!

’87 XJ – Scrapped
’94 Ranger – Parted out

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:15 am 
Club Member

I have went through a few nice CB radios. They seems to work well for a few years then...not so well. the hand held are a PIA . They are never where you last put them on a trail ride.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:41 pm 
Club Member

I'm taking the ham test tomorrow. Benno they told me it was only$15. I'll have to get a big ol beam antenna and amplifier so we can talk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:12 am 
Club Member

drain_surgen wrote:
I'm taking the ham test tomorrow. Benno they told me it was only$15. I'll have to get a big ol beam antenna and amplifier so we can talk

Good Luck.

I'm not exactly sure where you live, but with the right connection of repeaters you can reach quite a bit of central/southern Illinois. Depending on what kind of radio you get. Dual band radios are good since some of the repeaters in the linked system are 2 meter and some are 440.

R9RJN

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:40 pm 
Club Member

Ok I passed. Do I get a handheld first or mobile and what type. My son passed the general

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:23 pm 
Club Member

Wow, I forgot this page existed. So to catch up:

No, you just agree on a channel to use.

CBs suck.

That’s true Capn.

Any Yaesu, Icom, or Kenwood would be good.

Congratulations Dave.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:38 pm 
Club Member

DrugDoc wrote:
Wow, I forgot this page existed. So to catch up:

CBs suck.

That’s true Capn.

Congratulations Dave.

Agreed to all of those!

’87 XJ – Scrapped
’94 Ranger – Parted out