SIJA

Southern Illinois Jeep Association

Check out our Facebook Page!
It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
 Post subject: Re: Tink's MJ
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:33 pm 
Club Member

kirkjeeps wrote:
are you going to mount the rockers off the frame or body mounts

Welllll, I think the answer would be yes! The Comanche is uniframe, like an XJ with exception to the rear, so my rockers will mount off of the body, with kickers tieing them into the "frame". I'm not convinced that my idea will be strong enough, but she's a mall crawler so I think they'll do ok

I was kinda forced to take most of the week off, but should be rolling on it again this weekend so progress report to come I hope

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:47 am 
Online Member

[quote="Tink"][quote="kirkjeeps"]are you going to mount the rockers off the frame or body mounts[/quote]
Welllll, I think the answer would be yes! The Comanche is uniframe, like an XJ with exception to the rear, so my rockers will mount off of the body, with kickers tieing them into the "frame". I'm not convinced that my idea will be strong enough, but she's a mall crawler so I think they'll do ok

I was kinda forced to take most of the week off, but should be rolling on it again this weekend so progress report to come I hope[/quote]

I've had mine tied only to my body for several years and they have taken quite a lot of abuse. I would like to tie mine into the frame, but just never got there. Since Photobucket messed everything up, I can't post a picture of my setup.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:46 pm 
Club Member

jesus_man wrote:
I've had mine tied only to my body for several years and they have taken quite a lot of abuse. I would like to tie mine into the frame, but just never got there. Since Photobucket messed everything up, I can't post a picture of my setup.

With the unibody stuff you have to really consider how things are done if you want them, and the chassis to live for a long time. There is also a lot of rigidity to gain by tieing in the body and "frame". I did take a little of a shortcut for a couple different reasons, but it should be plenty strong for what I'm after.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:16 pm 
Club Member

So, to tie the rockers into something a bit more substantial I decided to raid the scrap bin again and found just enough 1 1/4", .120 wall DOM leftover from the XJ exo of years past. The round tube makes it kinda easy to tie in bc I was able to cut into the uni-frame with a hole saw making a strong attachment.

This one is ahead of the seat above the floor. The idea was to keep from having something to snag on underneath, but I can still tie into a decent body brace inside and the top of the "frame" rail. Bonus is that I can plumb my on board air into this, and put my quick disconnect inside the cab out of the elements.
I still have to build the braces inside, but I'll get to that.

The tubes will go through these spreader plates into the frame. I think there is a fair amount of strength to be gained if I had gone through both sides of the frame and added another of these plates to the inside as well, but I am really scraping bottom on the 1 1/4" tube, and frankly didn't want to put in the extra effort anyway, so this is the shortcut...but I think it'll be plenty for this build and a long life

So I tacked them together on the truck, then pulled them back off to burn all the pcs together proper(or at least as proper as my ability would allow)

Then the fun part. I stuck them on, burned them to the frame, then spent hours and hours stacking snail poop, doing my best to weld the structural steel to some nearly 30 year old sheet metal. I didn't burn too much away and I feel like it is pretty firmly attached, so I'm not too worried about the absolute ugly of it all.

I really don't enjoy grinding welds, and certainly don't plan on bodyworking a trail rig, but not only does silver make it all look lighter, but silver hammer dresses up the ugly welds good enough for the application

I still have a lot of work to do underneath, but structurally we are sound again and progress is back to moving forward at least some

I hope to finish these up soon, and also feel like this is a good time to swap my leaking steering box since it's up in the air anyway, so I think that's my goal for the very near future

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:42 am 
Online Member

Yeah, that looks great. I would imagine it will be plenty strong. If mine has held up being welded to fairly rusty sheet metal, yours should be more than enough now!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:15 pm 
Club Member

Tick Toc! And the thing looks better in the big pictures vs. what I see on my phone :)

’87 XJ – Scrapped
’94 Ranger – Parted out
Cookie Cutter ’99 TJ – Gone
'99 Mountaineer - Coming soon to a trail near you!
All our randomness and build threads can be found at http://www.MidwestNomads.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:40 am 
Club Member

Very nice. Looks a lot like the sliders I had on the YJ, 6" across the bottom and a 2" kickout, worked very well for me.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:26 pm 
Club Member

plenty strong looks like they started life there!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:41 pm 
Club Member

Bounty Hunter wrote:
Very nice. Looks a lot like the sliders I had on the YJ, 6" across the bottom and a 2" kickout, worked very well for me.

Thanks! These are 5" across, and I'd like to think someday I may add a tube to kick it out farther, but for now I'm going to try to finish them as they are and move on.

kirkjeeps wrote:
plenty strong looks like they started life there!

They should do the job. Thank you sir!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:45 pm 
Club Member

I still need to tie in the inside braces, and finish stitching up the underside of the rockers, but I kinda skipped ahead and started on what may become the bed. I'm sort of building blind in that I'm not sure what the end product will look like, but had to start somewhere so I hope it all comes together in the end. I really don't even have enough to share yet, but will keep plugging ahead in the hopes of a good update soon.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14