SIJA

Southern Illinois Jeep Association

Check out our Facebook Page!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
 Post subject: Re: Tink's MJ
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:47 pm 
Club Member

Benno! wrote:
I really dig that last update with the overhead photo. It's coming together nicely..

Now throw some damn wood on it and lets go wheel :)

Thanks man, and sorry to report but the only wood will be from wondering JK and Merc owners who happen to pass by :lol:

kirkjeeps wrote:
While I really like the utility of the bed and the extra time you have spent on it I really hope you add some type of overhead rack system on it so you could carry a canoe/kayak/roof top tent :idea: . I think it would really add to the adventure look you have going and make for a more universal system .I could be a drop on design and could be removed when it wasn't needed.Thanks you .my 2 cents worth of needless advice.

I neglected to share the fact that I have almost 100 feet of 1 3/4" DOM that is waiting to find a home in this project too.

I have an idea for half of an overhead rack type thing, but also have several ideas to make modular attachments that I can use only when I need them. I hope to see a Kayak in my future so that exact idea is one that is rolling around in my mind...also must be able to haul a dirt bike which is going to be easier said than done, but will happen one way or another

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:07 pm 
Online Member

Looks great!! I love how you buried the spare into the wasted space for a lower COG.

Will it clear the new meats?? Looks fairly close clearances with what you are running.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:43 pm 
Club Member

jesus_man wrote:
Looks great!! I love how you buried the spare into the wasted space for a lower COG.

Will it clear the new meats?? Looks fairly close clearances with what you are running.

Thank you, I'm liking it so far!

As for the new meats, I have built with them in mind so I'm fairly sure that it's going to work, not to say that I couldn't have bugered up some. Technically I am not increasing size although the new 35s are almost 2" taller than the current 35s but that's only an inch more that I need to worry about for clearance so should be fine...I hope!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:34 am 
Club Member

I think you did say you had some tube laying around but I didn't know there was a plan ahead for it.

It will be interesting to see how you save room for the bike...if the bed fills up there is always the rear bumper :idea:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:16 pm 
Club Member

kirkjeeps wrote:
It will be interesting to see how you save room for the bike...if the bed fills up there is always the rear bumper :idea:

The rear bumper is always an option that I have used many times behind the XJ and ZJ but given that it is a truck I don't want that to be my only option for a bike.

I have actually figured out where to put everything including the bike, but what worries me is how to get the dang thing up there, given that the bed is a squeak over 3 ft from the ground. I have ideas for that too, but it'll be a while before I need to figure that out.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:09 am 
Club Member

Tink wrote:
.... but what worries me is how to get the dang thing up there, given that the bed is a squeak over 3 ft from the ground. I have ideas for that too, but it'll be a while before I need to figure that out.

No worries! Just back up and give it some BRAAAAAPP! BRO! :lol:

’87 XJ – Scrapped
’94 Ranger – Parted out
Cookie Cutter ’99 TJ – Gone
'99 Mountaineer - Coming soon to a trail near you!
All our randomness and build threads can be found at http://www.MidwestNomads.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:11 am 
Club Member

I see a ramp that slides out of the bed floor ala uHaul.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:53 pm 
Club Member

Benno! wrote:
Tink wrote:
.... but what worries me is how to get the dang thing up there, given that the bed is a squeak over 3 ft from the ground. I have ideas for that too, but it'll be a while before I need to figure that out.

No worries! Just back up and give it some BRAAAAAPP! BRO! :lol:

I've seen enough Youtube to know how that one ends, so that won't be the technique :lol:

Bounty Hunter wrote:
I see a ramp that slides out of the bed floor ala uHaul.

There's not enough room to have a ramp slide out of the bed floor, but I have been thinking along those lines some, of course, maybe it just won't be a big deal. Hopefully I'll be able to find out soon.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:00 am 
Club Member

Wow have I been busy since my last update. I have kinda shoved everything in life except work and the truck to the wayside lately and have been really cranking on this thing. The problem of it being a dual purpose rig is that it not only has to work, but kinda has to be self sustaining too. That requires a level of completeness that a dedicated trail rig may not. Anywho, hang on cause here we go!

I finished the structure for the bed, trying to take into account any special needs that I would have. I added some sort of tube to tie into any feature/ tie down that I was planning and it ended up something like this. (pardon the crap night pic)

I decided to use 14ga treadplate for the bed floor. It is kind of a compromise on strength, weight, and cost. With all of the supports under the floor it should hold up for a long time.

Because I'm attempting to make this bed do everything I can think that I'd want it to do, I added some tie downs in what I hope works out to be good places

Then I added the wheel wells. I know these are nearly worthless, but I think they add a ton of character

Next it had to find it's way back to the truck, and has become too much for me to muscle, so Mr. Lane came by after work and helped me man handle the thing back on. I kinda like the direction, but was still clueless as to where to go from here. I took some pics that I could later use to play with sketching some ideas.
I didn't save any of the sketches, so you'll just have to trust that it came out exactly as I had it drawn

And now I'm falling asleep typing, so I think I'll save rest for another time

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:53 pm 
Online Member

That looks great! You consider lining the bed with a non-slip coating?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:46 pm 
Club Member

jesus_man wrote:
That looks great! You consider lining the bed with a non-slip coating?

Thank you! So far I have considered considering it, but thats all. I really like how it looks now so I'll see how it works for a while

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:53 pm 
Club Member

No lumber yet? I R Sad....

’87 XJ – Scrapped
’94 Ranger – Parted out
Cookie Cutter ’99 TJ – Gone
'99 Mountaineer - Coming soon to a trail near you!
All our randomness and build threads can be found at http://www.MidwestNomads.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15